|Sindh Medical College become Constituent Institute of Dow University of Health Sciences on December 29th, 2003
Sindh Medical College (SMC), Karachi started functioning, under the Government of Sindh on 7 April, 1973. First batch of about 200 students were admitted to first year MBBS in 1973-74. Professor Dr. Khawaja Muinuddin Ahmed was the Project Director and first Principal of the College. In the beginning, the college was working in the building of pediatric ward of Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre (JPMC), Karachi. This was actually an army barrack, constructed in the year 1865. Later it became part of the Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre (JPMC) in 1959. Now it has been renovated to lodge Dr. Ishrat-Ul-Ebad Khan Institute of Oral Health Sciences.
Initially, there were only three departments, Anatomy, Physiology and Biochemistry. Later on, a new academic block was constructed to house the departments of Pathology, Forensic Medicine and Community Medicine, with all the latest audiovisual teaching facilities, laboratories and museums along with administrative offices.
This college does not have its own affiliated hospital like other public sector medical colleges of the province. However, the students receive their clinical training in three prestigious institutes of the country; Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre (JPMC), National Institute of Child Health (NICH) and National Institute of Cardiovascular Diseases (NICVD), Karachi.